Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Pyro at Imbolc

Every fall as the days grow shorter, I find myself pulling out candles and burning them in the hours that I am home. I rotate my scents; this fall I was on a major apple kick, and happily, the Christmas Tree Shop had some great and inexpensive apple candles I stocked up on. Evergreen for the holiday and now I have moved on to vanilla. For a few weeks, I was home so seldom I never lit one, but now I am back with a vengeance.

I have always thought it is my way of compensating for the long hours of darkness. By providing not only glowing light, but also scent to delight an additional sense and trigger a mechanism of comfort. It's dark and rainy today and has gotten progressively worse all day. It gets dark later every day, but on a day like this, it's so hard to tell that winter is losing its hold.
I save the candle stubs and make my own candles. It's dead easy, and is a pleasant pasttime.

Today was a distinctly non-productive day. The last few days I worked were very busy and required a great deal of energy, and my days off have involved driving distances to do things for family. Today I slept in and woke tired. I tried to do some paperwork, and got little accomplished, so I decided to just call it quits and do some reading and blogging and chatting with people I care about. After burning the candle at both ends, today I am kicking back and just burning the candles.

No comments:

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.